Monday, November 15, 2010

It's time to start laughing!!!!!

I have mostly used this blog to update family and friends on our family, mostly the kids. I would like to start sharing some of the things that I am learning as I study and also the things that I learn just being a mom.

Yesterday I was reading in Sister Hinckley's Book, "Small and Simple Things." I love everything in this book!!!!! She had such amazing insight into life, what an amazing woman. One of the quotes that really stood out to me yesterday was this one: "True spirituality makes you loving and grateful, and forgiving, and patient, and gentle, and long-suffering. True spirituality breathes reverence into every act and deed. It compels you to get in touch with your Heavenly Father every single day of your life."
The scripture she shared with this is in Alma 37:34, 36; "Be meek and lowly in heart...cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and withersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; Yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever."

I have been feeling very overwhelmed with many things in my life right lately and it has been affecting my moods and how I have felt. I know that my family has been affected by my no-so-cheery moods lately, and so this quote was really a wake-up for me. It was one of those times when I just needed to be reminded of something that is so simple and that I already knew. As I get older, life seems to going by faster and I know that I need to be using every minute doing the things that will bring me closer to my Heavenly Father and turning to Him for help when I feel overwhelmed with life. There isn't time to waist being mopey. Sister Hinckley also says on another page, "...the only was to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." I always get a headache when I cry--so it's time to start laughing:)

2 comments: